Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cupcake anyone??


It looks like a cupcake, but it's really a chocolate dipped ball of red velvet cake and cream cheese icing topped with sprinkles and an M&M. Yum!!! I'm glad I found a good reason to try these sweet cupcakes!!

I decided to make some Mother's Day treats for the ladies at work since I'm the only "non-mom" there. It gave me the perfect chance to try a recipe from Bakerella. Originally, I was going to make cupcake pops, but I waited until the last second to go get ingredients, (imagine that!!) and I couldn't find all of the supplies at Walmart. So, instead, I made cupcake bites...almost the same thing, just not on a stick. They were a lot of fun to make, and I think they turned out okay for my first attempt!!

These cupcake bites were fairly simple to make. First, I baked a red velvet cake in a 13 x 9 pan. I just followed the directions on the box, and I used Duncan Hines for the cake and the frosting.



When the cake was done baking, I let it cool completely. Then, I crumbled it up into a fine, fluffy texture. Next, I emptied the can of frosting into the crumbled cake and mixed it together. I used the back of a wooden spoon and it worked fine.




Then, I rolled the cake and frosting mixture into balls. I put them in the freezer for a little while, not until they were frozen, but until they were a little more firm and easier to work with.



Then, I melted chocolate bark and spooned it into cupcake wrapper molds. I dropped a cake ball into each mold and put them into the freezer for 1 or 2 minutes...just long enough for the chocolate bark to harden. After a couple of minutes, they popped right out of the mold and they were ready to dip into tinted candy melts.




For the colorful cupcake "icing" I used white candy melts and tinted them with food coloring. Time for a dip...



Now for the final step...decorating!! I, like Bakerella, used sprinkles and an M&M on top. It only took a few minutes for the candy melts to set, and then they were ready to eat!!





These cupcake bites are not only delicious, but really cute, too. Mine didn't turn out as perfect as Bakerella's, but after a couple of tries, I hope to get the hang of it. I took these in to the office yesterday, and there are only four or five left. At least they were edible...and so much fun to make!!!

3 comments:

  1. These look AMAZING!!! Please bring some with you next time I see you :)) k thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will do my best...maybe I can just wait until I see you and we can make them together... :) You know you want to...

    ReplyDelete