Saturday, May 28, 2011

Attack of the Cicadas

They are noisy and creepy and they are taking over this city!! They are here again....the cicadas!!!

Thirteen years have gone by and it's time for the cicadas to show themselves again. They crawl out of the 67 degree ground close to older, more mature trees. They mate for about a month and a half, and then drop their eggs into mature trees or on the ground close to them. Then in thirteen years, those cicadas will emerge and the process will start all over again.
This is the first cicada experience that Brad and I have had since they only emerge every 13 years, and we have only been here for four. I know that they don't bite or sting and therefore really aren't harmful, but they still gross me out.
Since our neighborhood is fairly new with new trees, we really don't have that many close to our house. Today, we were at the Cheesecake Factory at the Green Hills mall with some friends and they were all over the place....SWARMING!!! One flew into my hair and then two minutes later one landed on my arm. Call me a baby if you want, but I was not happy!! Ewww!!! I literally ran to the car when we left.
I think they are only here for a few more weeks, and it won't be too soon!! I am definitely not a fan of cicadas....as harmless as they may be!! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment